This was my first time making a cheese sauce for my macaroni and cheese. But let me tell you! This came out soooooo good! If you’ve been charged with making the mac n cheese for your holiday family event or you just want some comfort food then give this recipe a try. It’s a great variation of the traditional mac n cheese that everyone is sure to love 🙂
Creamy Macaroni & Cheese w/Cheese Sauce
The creamiest of the creamiest
- 16oz Packaged Elbow Macaroni
4 Tbs Margarine or Butter
3 Cups Evaporated Milk
2 Cups Velveeta Cheese cut in cubes (you can buy shredded too. Your choice boo)
2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
8oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese
8oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1 Tbs Parsley Flakes (optional)
1 Tbs Salt
1-1/2 Tbs Sugar
1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1. Place a medium size pot of water over high heat.
2. Once the water comes to a boil, add the macaroni. Boil for 8 minutes, then drain the water. Be sure to stir your macaroni so it doesn’t stick together and add a little oil in the pot as well.
3. While the macaroni is boiling chop the block of cheddar cheese and cream cheese into smaller size pieces.
4. This step is what separates this macaroni and cheese from authentic tradition macaroni and cheese. What you’re going to do is saturate your macaroni in the cheese sauce. This method maximizes the cheesiness of your macaroni and cheese. This is to create a sauce which ensures that the cheese is fully dispersed throughout the pan of macaroni. Use the same pot you boiled the macaroni in and place it over low medium heat.
5. Add your butter.
6. Once the butter melts, add your milk.
7. Then add your salt, sugar, and pepper, and stir in well.
8. Add your blocks of chopped cheese next.
9. Once all the cheese is fully melted into a nice loose cheese sauce, add the drained macaroni, then stir in well. Now your macaroni is fully coated and saturated in the cheese sauce.
10. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
11. Pour the cheesy macaroni and cheese into a baking pan.
12. Add your shredded cheddar and shredded cheese of your choice, then stir in well.
13. Top the mac and cheese with the remaining shredded cheese of your choice, shredded cheddar cheese, and parsley flakes. The parsley flakes are just for decoration purposes… it gives the macaroni and cheese a nice look and we top it with cheese to create a cheese crust on top.
14. Bake the macaroni and cheese for 25 to 30 minutes. If you want it to be on the looser side bake it for 20 minutes. If you prefer your macaroni and cheese really stiff almost like a block, then bake it for up to 40 minutes. How long you bake the macaroni and cheese totally depends on how stiff or loose/creamy you desire it to be. I hope you enjoy this recipe.. it’s delicious!!!
Macaroni and cheese is really about preference. It’s up to you which cheeses you prefer and like. I always try different types of cheeses. You should experiment but still add your basics like mild and sharp cheddar, oh and Velveeta. Also do not be stingy with the cheese, you can always add more! Just be careful when adding more to add a little more milk into the mix as well unless you want a non creamy mac cheese.